Island Club was founded by a group of hunters from Long
Island, New York in November 1870. They were sailing their
yacht Anonyona and during a storm, they entered the
Currituck Inlet and anchored next to Swan Island in
Currituck Sound. They went aground and were not able to get
the boat out again. In 1877, it caught fire and burned. They
were in need of living quarters, so the members purchased
Swan Island and the surrounding marsh and converted
Hatfield's farm house into a club house.
This sketch is
by Hortense Poyner Parkerson from her book, Swan Island
on the image to expand it.
The sketch is courtesy of Jane Brumley, of Knotts Island.
Here is a
Google Earth image of Swan Island's location in relation to
Knotts Island and the Currituck ferry landing.
Click the image to view it in full size.