January 16, 2012. SWAN ISLAND FLYWAY STOPOVER by Hortense Poyner Parkerson
Photo from Daniel O'Neil. January 30, 2010.
Swan Island Club was founded by a group of hunters who were
proceeding south from Good Ground, Long Island, New York in November
1870 in their yacht Anonyona. During a storm they entered the Currituck
Inlet and anchored next to Crow Island now known as Swan Island in
Currituck Sound. As a result of the tide subsiding the hunters were not
able to get the boat out of the sound and there it remained until 1877
when it caught fire and burned to the water.
Once their boat burned they were in need of living quarters, so the members purchased Crow Island and the marsh and converted Hatfield's farm house into a club house.
Around 1900 the farm house burned and shortly after a new clubhouse was built. In 1910 the second clubhouse burned. The third clubhouse was built in 1913-1914 and is in use today.
September 9, 2010. Comment - Jane Brumley: This is the sketch/drawing by Hortense Poyner Parkerson from her book, Swan Island Flyway Stopover, Copyright 1988. Mrs Parkerson was a child of 10 months old in 1910 when she moved to Swan Island with her parents. Her father was caretaker there for many years. For more information about HORTENSE go here.