Updated January 7. 2011
December 2, 2010. MARSH CAUSEWAY
May 6, 2010. Comment - Brenda Twiford: The Corey Lodge was owned by William E. Corey, President of U. S. Steel, and was built around 1924 on Knotts Island Causeway over the Great Marsh. The steel tower (75 foot steel watch tower) was constructed by Corey enabling him to see poachers on his property. The Club was destroyed by fire in 1940.
January 7, 2011. COREY'S DITCH. Comment Paul Brumley. Dynamite was used to put Corey's Ditch though the marsh in the early 30's. It was about four to six feet wide and used to drain water from Biels Island Bay into Currituck Sound. A North wind increased the water level in the Bay and interfered with the operation of the Club. Over time the force of the water flowing through the ditch widened and deepened it. At the same time Knotts Island Bay became shallower because of less water flowing through it.